It’s National Fragrance Day. I can’t think of a stupider occasion.
Conversely, it’s World Poetry Day. So, I wrote a poem.
Makes me swell
And feel like
I’m burning in hell.
To be honest, I used to scoff at others’ fragrance sensitivities. I thought people complained because they didn’t like a particular smell. I didn’t understand it was a medical issue with serious consequences.
Here are few of my MCAS symptoms that are triggered just from 10 seconds of exposure:
- Throat swelling: feels like someone is choking your neck
- Nausea, diarrhea, and cramping: feels like food poisoning
- Liver swelling: feels like being punched in the stomach
- Hives: feels like mosquito bites on top of sunburn
- Tachycardia: feels like running a marathon you never trained for
Recently, Dior came out with a perfume campaign that I can support. It’s called Poison Girl. In the commercial, a woman with no pants crawls across the screen and says, “I am not a girl; I am poison.” Yazzzz, that is what you are! But poison is not sexy.
I truly believe perfume is the new cigarette smoke. Our grandkids will think we were idiots for polluting our lungs with chemicals and destroying our immune systems. I predict over the next few decades legislation will ban fragrances in public places. In the meantime, stay the hell away from me, poison girl.